Interviewed by CNN on 10/05/2012 20:06, George Carden told the world:
> I have done this, MCBastos, with Thunderbird 12.0.1 and it appears to
> have worked. HOWEVER, your warnings to NEVER open Thunderbird again have
> me shaking in my boots.  Is there any link, such as within Copernic
> search result preview pain, etc., that would open Thunderbird if I were
> to click it?  If it has found a link on a search that is, say, an
> attachment of a jpeg, or anything else, or even if I just double-click a
> found e-mail in the preview pain to open it, will that open Thunderbird?
>   I have backed up my SeaMonkey profile as a safety precaution, but I'm
> hoping to never need it.

No, I never had this sort of problem (opening Thunderbird by mistake).
Copernic shows the message content on its own without invoking
Thunderbird. But then, I don't think I have ever tried extracting an
attachment from the Copernic interface.

My warning against opening Thunderbird is based on an untested
assumption: that there might be enough differences between the two
products that could cause problems. But, as I said, I never tested it.

It *might* be OK, but I just don't want to risk it. It depends on a few
factors, about which we may make assumptions but I have no hard data:

1- Whether TB and SM have profile files with different internal
structures yet the same name. I considered that a non-trivial risk if
running, say, Seamonkey 1.9 with Thunderbird 3.1, since those are
different Gecko versions. I consider the risk to be lowered if you are
using a current Thunderbird, with the same Gecko version as SM -- but it
might still be possible...

2- How TB and SM deal with unexpected things in their profile folders
(unknown config settings, unknown files and such). I *think* they just
ignore those (as opposed to, say, deleting them), but I'm not *sure*.

3- Whether either TB or SM aggressively changes any setting on boot
(perhaps when detecting an "upgrade"). I don't think it likely -- if SM,
say, NEEDS such-and-such values in about:config to run, the obvious way
to deal with it would be to *ignore* the value in the config file,
instead of changing it.

But it's very good knowing that Copernic is still able to find the
e-mails using newer versions of TB. Perhaps I'll update mine to either
10.x (LTS) or to the current one, now that 3.1.x was EOL'd...

--
MCBastos

use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

-=-=-