MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 13/05/2012 08:35, lightandho...@bellsouth.net told
the world:
I recently got back on my old windows 2000 OS system due to tech
problems with my XP machine-I just want to thank the SeaMonkey team
for maintaining compatibility with Win2k! :)

Uhhh... you know, this might not be the best time for these particular
thanks...

Thing is, AFAIK, Firefox will drop Win2000 (and XP pre-SP2, by the way)
on the next release, Firefox 13, due June 5th.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2012/01/end_of_firefox_win2k.html

Since Seamonkey depends on a lot of technology that comes from Firefox,
I'm guessing that Seamonkey will *have* to drop Win2k next month with
version 2.10, too.

Of course, you can keep using version 2.9.1 (or, for that matter,
Firefox 12 and Thunderbird 12) indefinitely -- but it will be
unsupported, that is, any bugs on it (including security bugs) will
never get fixed.

Short term, if you want a *supported* Mozilla product that runs on
Win2k, your best bet would be to go with the Firefox 10 ESR (Extended
Support Release). That will get security (and possibly stability)
patches for roughly one year since Firefox 10 was launched, that is,
about the end of January 2013.

Thunderbird and Seamonkey don't have ESR releases, as far as I know. Sorry.

 From February 2013 onwards, there will be no supported Mozilla product
for Win2k. It's possible (but not guaranteed) that Opera will still
support Windows 2000 by then. All other major browser vendors
(Microsoft, Apple, Google) have already dropped Win2k.

probably because it is so easy to run XP SP2 without a license... under XP3 you have to

--
~Vink
GerardJan Vinkesteijn VRI