JD wrote:
Mort wrote:
J. Weaver Jr. wrote:
Do another update on Avast - the repeat insistence on finishing the
update was a known bug, fixed in the current version. -JW

Hi,

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

J., does the known bug include the forced download of Chrome and its
destructive effects upon my hard drive? Will that also stop? Aside form
the Chrome problem, I was happy with Avast.

Mort

I use an older version of Avast and haven't encountered the forced
download of Chrome but it is a topic of conversation in the
alt.windows7.general newsgroup. I haven't updated my virus database
since people started having this problem.

One reply suggested trying this:

"If you open Avast user interface and go to settings/troubleshooting
there is a box "Do not use Chrome as Avast default browser". Check that
box."

This seems to work for some users but not all of them?

Another reply suggested changing the Update to "Manual" for both the
Virus Database and Program also under Settings.

Another reply says the box to uncheck installing Chrome goes by pretty
quickly.

You could try an older version but I've never used the following web
page for that:

http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php

Hi J.D.,

Thanks ever so much for your helpful reply. I have been using manual update all along. I did find that settings-troubleshooting box re. not using Chrome, and I did check it now. Let's see if it works.

So many software things seem obvious, once you know them. Getting to know them is the problem.

Again, many thanks.

Mort