MCBastos wrote:
Interviewed by CNN on 15/10/2012 13:18, JD told the world:
I have a person who prefers to be contacted by text messages.

I have learned how to send a text message from the SM e-mail program.

The problem is, the phone number reported to the person receiving the
text message is 10 digits that are not my phone. I understand that my SM
e-mail has no way t know my phone number.

The text message is coming from area code 141 which appears to be the
international area code for a phone in North America.

My question is, can I change that number or is her cell phone provider
generating the number?

Not my area of expertise, I probably got the details wrong, but...

You are probably using a gateway service -- some server that receives an
e-mail, converts it into a text message and resends it through the SMS
network.

AFAIK, the sender of an SMS message is identified by essentially the
same mechanism that CallerID uses -- that is, the sender's phone number
is supplied by the *network*, not by the sender. I don't think the
sender is allowed to supply any sender phone number it wishes. That is,
I think sender phone numbers are not spoofable by anyone but a telephone
company.

The phone number the receiver is seeing is the number of the phone line
the SMS forwarding service uses to connect to the phone service.

So... there's nothing you can do about it on your side. This ability
would have to be supplied by the gateway service, and they would need
the collaboration of the phone company. Perhaps you can find a different
gateway service that allow you to customize the sender's phone number.
But I sorta doubt it.

Thanks MCBastos.

I use my ISP's e-mail server to send an e-mail to the phone number with area code of the person so it looks like xxxxxxx...@text.xxx.net. Somewhere in the process, it's gets the strange phone number.

--