Can someone explain to me how SM handles syncing with an IMAP account?

I have noticed that if I delete an e-mail or move it to another folder then go look on either my web client or another computer SM is not in sync with the server.

Issuing a compact folder seems to bring it in sync as does waiting some unknown period of time (seems to be a few hours).

What controls this refresh/syn crate? Can I change this refresh rate or change it to be instantaneous?

BTW I am talking IMAP to an exchange server if that matters.

Thanx
 Hawker