JAS wrote:
I know this has been addressed before but am wondering if any progress
has been made toward a solution of adding a close button on tabs in SM
2.14.1 and beyond. I know you can right click and choose  to close tab
or if the tab is at the far right just click the close button on the
right or middle click on a tab to close it but my middle click button
has quite working on my mouse and hate to buy a new one.

Control-w will close the focused tab. I personally much prefer the way SeaMonkey does it with the close x button on the right hand side of the tab title bar rather than the way Firefox does it with the close x button on every tab title (at least that's the way Firefox did it the last time I looked, which has been quite a while). SeaMonkey's way suits the way I use a browser better because I open links that I want to read in new tabs and then as I read them just click the x to close one and move to the next without having to move the mouse cursor all over the place.

--
Jim