On 6/26/13 9:25 AM, Rostyslaw Lewyckyj wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> I know we advertise Firefox compatibility to fool the idiot webmasters,
>>> and I can easily see my "Firefox version," so to speak.
>>>
>>> But for purposes of discussion with colleagues who use Thunderbird,
>>> which versions of SeaMonkey correspond (roughly, I know) to which
>>> versions of Thunderbird? Is there a table posted somewhere?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> Paul, it always seems to me that SM and FF are out of sink by one, i.e.
>> you might expect SM 2.15 to be equivalent of FF (2 + 15) 17, but in fact
>> SM 2.15 is equivalent to FF (2 + 15 + *1* ) 18. SM 2.19 is equivalent to
>> FF (2 + 19 + *1* ) 22.
>>
>> Don't know why, just is!!
>>
>> Prior to TB going extended release or whatever it's called, FF nn
>> related to TB nn.
>>
> So how about embedding somewhere in each SM release the version of FF/TB
> that it supposedly mimics, (is equivalent to).
> This could even be placed in the release notes, along with some other
> descriptions of the code base levels on which this given SM release is
> based.

The user agent (UA) string for each Mozilla application indicates the
Gecko version.  The Gecko version is the number following "rv:".

For SeaMonkey, the UA string is displayed by going to the menu bar and
selecting either [Help > About SeaMonkey] or [Help > Troubleshooting
Information].  For Thunderbird, the UA string is displayed by going to
the menu bar and selecting [Help > Troubleshooting Information].  Not
having Firefox installed, I assume that its UA string is displayed the
same way as for Thunderbird.

Note that the Mozilla developers are trying to deprecate version
numbers.  <http://www.mozilla.org/> (the Web page from which Firefox can
be downloaded) does not indicate the current Firefox version number.
<http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/> (the Web page from which
Thunderbird can be downloaded) indicates the version number in a dark
green font against a medium green background.  Only SeaMonkey has not
yet yielded to this trend.

The developers tried to eliminate the Gecko version number from the UA
strings, but that failed when too many Web sties would not recognize
Firefox.  I think, however, the effort to eliminate the Gecko version
number is continuing at a slower pace.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., the government)
snooping into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>