El 15/08/13 14:33, Paul B. Gallagher escribió:
> Ricardo Palomares Martí­nez wrote:
>> Please note that having only one ISP, which is the common scenario
>> indeed, has little or nothing to do with having email accounts with
>> different email providers.
>
> Sure. But it does mean you have one SMTP server for all accounts,
> which /is/ one of the things we're talking about.

Hardly. Any correctly configured SMTP server will not allow to process
a message whose sender does not belong to the domain of the SMTP
server itself (otherwise, it would be an open relay available to be
abused to distribute SPAM), so it means that, if you use email
accounts with three different providers, then you need not only three
POP/IMAP accounts, but also three SMTP servers.

>> I wouldn't go that way. You could ask for the email address (that's
>> something the user is pretty much expected to know) :-) and, if the
>> domain happens to be the same than an existing account, then some
>> fields could be prepopulated, and the SMTP server used by default.
>
> I think most users would already know whether the new account has the
> same domain as an existing account, and in that case they /would/
> choose to prepopulate and edit. Do they really need help with that
> decision?

We may be envisioning slightly different UIs. I thought your idea of a
new email account wizard was something like:

Step 1) Do you want to prepopulate fields from an existing email
account? Yes -> Step 2 / No -> Step 3

Step 2) Choose existing email account to prepopulate fields in next step.

Step 3) Display all needed fields to create the account and check they
are valid.

Step 3 could, as it is now, be actually several steps to make screens
of the wizard lighter.

However, I was somehow more in the line I thought your idea of a new
email account wizard was something like:

Step 1) Enter your new email account address.

Step 2) (The wizard silently checks if the domain matches any existing
account. If yes, prepopulate the fields for the next step).

Step 3) Display all needed fields (except email address already
provided in step 1) to create the account and check they are valid.

>> Overall, the autoconfig feature from Thunderbird should be the way to
>> go, although it is not perfect.
>
> I'm not familiar with the features of TB,

It uses a mix of de-facto standards and heuristics:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration

Supposedly, any email provider can be queried to get an XML with the
configuration details for any given email account. Mozilla was goint
to host a central database for most popular email providers.

If the above fails, Thunderbird tries with usual server names:
imap.domain.com, pop.domain.com, smtp.domain.com, etc.

Regards,

--
Ricardo Palomares (RickieES)
http://www.mozilla-hispano.org/