On 1/21/14 10:51 AM +0900, Geoff Welsh wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 1/20/14 5:54 AM +0900, Geoff Welsh wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 1/19/14 12:14 PM +0900, Geoff Welsh wrote:
Trane Francks wrote:
On 1/19/14 10:05 AM +0900, Ed Mullen wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Okay, here's a weird one.

Someone was perusing one of my Web sites and said, to paraphrase:

"If I click in the vertical scroll bar below the handle (grippy) the
page scrolls down more than one full screen."

That is, the vast majority of pages (I've checked many) will
scroll so
that the bottom of the first page is now at the top. The pages on my
site scroll up past that, so that the content of the initial
screen is
above the top of the page. Meaning that the user will be missing,
not
see, some content.

I cannot give a definitive example since it depends to some extent
upon
browser window size. But, try it at, for instance:

http://edmullen.net/mozilla/moz_combine.php

I only give this page as an example because it requires several
scroll-downs to see the entire page.

Then try any Amazon.com page. I haven't found one where it happens.

Oddly, having checked it in:

IE 11
Opera 18
Chrome 32
Safari (Windows) 5
Pale Moon 24 Moz-based
SeaMonkey 2 Moz-based
Firefox 26 Moz-based

only the Moz-based browsers exhibit the problem.

I'm posting here first but it may be an HTML or CSS issue. Which I
would then pursue in an appropriate Usenet group.

I have tested this on a varity of sites online and most do not
exhibit
this but several do.

Any thoughts welcome.

One additional thing. John Gilliver, who mentioned this to me
origianlly, noted that it only happens when clicking in the scroll
bar
space. It does NOT happen if using the PAGE DOWN key (in Windows). I
confirmed that.

Interesting. Yes, I've seen this behaviour before. It appears to me
that
clicking inside the scroll bar track bases the page-down behaviour on
the overall size of the window rather than just the scrolling frame of
the site. Pressing the space bar to page-down bases the behaviour
on the
frame. I'd call this a bug.

The scroll slider moves to where I click. I'm not seeing any problem.

GW

To reproduce the issue, OS X must be configured to "Jump to the next
page", not "Jump to the spot that's clicked".

Is that a joke? Ever since my first mouse with a scroll wheel I have
never even used the slider, I was just trying to duplicate the OP
problem, and his page works fine for me..

GW

No, that's not a joke. Maybe I didn't understand what you wrote, but I
took what you wrote to mean that wherever you click in the scroll track,
your page immediately scrolls to that position. That would, to me,
indicate that your OS X is configured to 'Jump to the spot that's
clicked'. If that is, indeed, the setting you've got in System
Preferences/General, you will not be able to reproduce the OP's problem.

Thanks, TF.

since I have never heard of that or configured anything any differently
on all five Macs I have used and they all work the same, I will stay out
of this one.

GW

Understood and very fair. OS X supports two different scrolling paradigms. In yours, clicking half-way down a scroll track takes you half-way down the document. In my configuration, no matter where in the scroll track I click, it only scrolls down one page. When I want to jump to that point in the document via clicking the scroll track, I Opt-click in the track, which is useful to jump to the top or bottom of a document.

Cheers,

trane

--
// Trane Francks    tr...@gol.com    Tokyo, Japan