JohnW-Mpls wrote:

> WinXP & SM 2.22.1
>
> When I create a new message and attach a .txt file, the content of that
> .txt file appears in the body of the message.

Always has.

> If I change the attached file to a .doc or .zip: the body of the message
> stays unaffected by the attachment.

Sure, but attach a .jpg or other image. You'll see it, too, no differently
than a text file. Your .doc or .zip are a different kind of binary file
not normally open-able by the compose window or the message pane.

> When did SM start integrating attachments into new messages?

When was SeaMonkey first released?

> Forwarded messages are different, they have choices: in-line vs
> attached.

So should new messages. Also can depend on whether or not you are sending
plain text messages or HTML messages. Nothing new going on here.

--
   -bts