In <news:ei6dnuoognnar67onz2dnuvz_oadn...@mozilla.org>,
"Paul B. Gallagher" <pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:

> »Q« wrote:
> > In <news:tuwdnqu7nt--ja_onz2dnuvz_qqdn...@mozilla.org>,
> > "Paul B. Gallagher" <pau...@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:
> >
> >> When trying to view stories at nydailynews.com, I often get this
> >> error message:
> >>
> >> Content Encoding Error
> >>
> >> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
> >> invalid or unsupported form of compression.
> >>
> >> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
> >> invalid or unsupported form of compression.
> >>
> >>       Please contact the website owners to inform them of this
> >> problem.
> >>
> >>       [Try again]
> >>
> >> [end quote]
> >>
> >> What's up with that? IE never has any problem displaying the pages,
> >> but SM won't even show me the source code.
> >>
> >> Here's an example, but pretty much any story from the "Editor's
> >> Picks" rubric on the right side of their pages does this:
> >>
> >> <http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/drug-testing-welfare-recipients-big-mistake-conservatives-article-1.1734098>
> >
> > gzip compression is what's being used, but that's been standard on
> > the web for many years, and SM supports it fine.
> >
> > My only guess is that what you're getting is being mangled by a
> > transparent proxy between you and the server.  Using shift+reload
> > *might* get around it.
>
> It does, wonder why. Can you explain?

Access providers may cache pages, so users get their cached pages
instead of getting them from the originating web server.  This saves
the provider some bandwidth.  There's nothing in your settings that
will change things.

shift+reload sends your http request along with a header that indicates
you want any caches to be bypassed, so the page you get should come
from the originating server.