On 6/15/2014 6:44 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote:
Ed Mullen wrote:
Desiree pounded out :
On 6/15/2014 4:47 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 6/15/2014 6:33 AM, Tom S. wrote:
On many websites, why is it whenever I turn off the font setting,
"Allow documents to use other fonts" (or just "Fonts" in
PrefBar), the buttons on the web page are replaced with little
rectangular placeholders? For example, this site:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

It wasn't that way in times past.

Thanks in advance.

They are NOT buttons.  They are made-up font characters (glyphs).  For
lazy Web developers, it is easier to create a glyph than a button.  When
you block downloaded fonts, you block such glyphs.

I was wondering what those were myself...not at the site mentioned
(which displays so horrible on a 24" wide screen monitor that I will
never go there again --- are all young people having eyesight problems
as the font is gigantic there)?

I have recently been seeing those place holders at a number of sites and
I see this on every browser.  I NEVER allow websites to use their own
fonts ....never have and never will.

Why?  Please detail why this is a bad thing to do.

yes.  Do.  For mail I want to read text the way I want it.  But for a
website, I figure if someone went to the trouble of choosing fonts, I
might as well SEE them.  If it's something terrible like light blue text
on a medium blue background I turn-off the style sheet.

Btw, Urban Dictionary page looks totally fine in every way here.

GW
X  no minimum font size
X  allow documents to use other fonts
X  using Mac OS X

Maybe it looks better on an Apple computer?

I'm curious. Do you have a large wide screen monitor? Maybe I can't compare since yours would be Apple and mine is not. I have a newish (Jan 1 2014) 24" widescreen Dell Ultrasharp monitor. It is my first wide screen one. Urban Dictionary appears in the center of the screen in a way too large font. I use Zoom Page extension to zoom it down to 65% and then I have the font small, but readable, but the website is now extremely scrunched up very small in the center of the screen with lots of wasted real estate on both sides.

Yep. I just went to that site on the XP Pro computer with the 19" LCD Dell Ultrasharp monitor at 5:4 ratio. It looks nice on a NON widescreen monitor and I did not have to reduce the font size on the page. It was just right with a default Verdana font size of 13 pt and minimum size font at 13 also. On the wide screen 24" monitor I have default font size of 11 pt and minimum font size at 11 pt. Urban Dictionary is designed for older non - wide screen monitors (at least if you are using Windows - but the problem is exacerbated by this being a Win 8 machine and it might be ok on Win 7 on a widescreen monitor).

Something is wrong with my hosts file on the XP machine. I didn't realize that site has tweets on it! I have Twitter blocked in my hosts file and the block is working on the Win 8 computer but not on the XP computer!