In <news:quodnriz-z8s5chonz2dnuvz_r-dn...@mozilla.org>,
"David E. Ross" <nobody@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> For newsgroup messages, the User-Agent header field is indicated in
> RFC 5536 as optional.  For E-mail messages, the User-Agent header
> field is not even mentioned.  All header fields beginning with X-
> (e.g., X-Mailer) are non-conventional.  I strongly doubt that
> Thunderbird recognizes X-Mailer (or any other similar header field)
> as a substitute for User-Agent.

The convention of using the prefix 'X-' for non-standard headers has
been in use a long time.  The prefix wasn't strictly necessary, but it
pretty much guaranteed that no future RFC would clobber such a header
by redefining it.  (Non-standard headers without the prefix were/are
used too, of course.)

Until 5536 obsoleted 1036 for netnews, there was no standard header to
indicate what client composed the message in either news or e-mail
posts.  All there was was the informational RFC 2076, which listed
these headers in common use for it in 1997:

  Mail-System-Version
  Mailer
  Originating-Client
  X-Mailer
  X-Newsreader

So Mozilla products should recognize at least those.  (I don't know
whether they do or not.)

I don't know what Netscape 3's mail/news used.  It was released only
shortly before RFC 2076 was put out.  At some point, either Netscape
or Mozilla decided to use the HTTP header "User-Agent" instead of what
other message clients were using.  Eventually "User-Agent" made its
way into RFC 5536 as the standard one to use for news.

This giant cross-posted thread wouldn't exist if Mozilla products just
let users pick which headers are visible in the normal header view,
something like <http://remarqs.net/misc/header-display-config.png>.

I've set followups to m.s.seamonkey.