Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Ronnie wrote:
Works fine here using 3.2 on linux

Great Ronnie. I just wish some folks here would learn how to post to the
newsgroup in SeaMonkey. Click the *first* reply icon (CTRL+R) in the
toolbar as show to reply to the NG as shown below and not the second one
(CTRL+SHIFT+R) which also emails the previous poster.

<http://www.littleworksstudio.com/temp/usenet/post-to-group>

If you're bothered by that, munge your address and the personal reply
will bounce, bothering only the sender.

It also helps frustrate the spambots.

It is a bit of Usenet etiquette, post to the NG unless invited to do otherwise.

I don't mung for a couple of reasons. Folks have a tenancy to use the anonymity of nims and munged addresses to detach themselves from bad behavior. I believe in owning what I say. The real address is there when there is a need to take the conversion off the group, but in general newsgroups are meant to be *public* discussions. If you private email then others will not benefit from the off-group discussion defeating the purpose of having the newsgroup. To post the *both* group and the email is just needlessly clogging my inbox. I have subscribed to the newsgroup so I will get your message. The problem is the corruption of "web access" over newsreaders to newsgroups such as Google Groups where GG's are confused about how newsgroups work. Ol' Blinky (RIP) used rail about it...

<http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/index.html>

Been on Usenet since the 90's and I don't really get spam. But for some reason with this newsgroup there have been a number of posters the seem to be confused about the process. Yes, my comments did show a little irritation for which I apologize, but it was hardly mean, profane, or ad hominem snark which is unfortunately all too pervasive. Steel and asbestos reinforced shorts are required for the Ubuntu NG.

--
Take care,

Jonathan