Israel wrote:
Hi,
I have been trying to decipher the best way to enable using a protocol
handler for:
apt://
I know I can enable it easily myself (through about:config), but I would
like it to be enabled for all new users.  Is there a way the person in
charge of packaging can make this change in the default seamonkey packaging?

This is the one hurdle I face, as I will not be able to hand configure
each user's computer and account.

Referencing
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Register_protocol#Firefox_3.5_and_above>

It like like you can do it at the system level by passing configuring in SeaMonkey:

     In a terminal, type:

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/foo/command '/path/to/app %s' --type String
gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/foo/enabled --type Boolean true

Replace foo on both lines with the protocol you want to register and /path/to/app with the path to the application you want to run.

So if you have gdebi installed:

sudo gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/apt/command '//usr/bin/gdebi %s' --type String

sudo gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/apt/enabled --type Boolean true

--
Take care,

Jonathan