Mr. Ed пишет:
And on a second thought, what's all the fuss about anyway?  Who cares what
version an add-on is if it works.  If it's not up to date SM checks on startup
and lets you know.  Even installs the update if there is one.  If you try to
load one that doesn't work with SM modify it.  If you don't know how use the
webpage that will convert it for you.  These two options have been explained
many times in previous topics.

Not necessarily. There are addons with binary components, and they are very dependent on the exact specific version and platform.

For example, one my addon depends on Lightning, which has a binary component. One of the first questions (sometimes the first one) I ask if anyone has a problem with it, is "What version of Lightning do you have?".