WaltS48 wrote:
Larry S. wrote:
Received an MP4 file via e-mail. It plays beautifully, but I have no
idea which of my many applications is playing it. I look in "Helper
Applications", but file types aren't shown there. Somehow I'm supposed
to guess which application plays which type?

Please help me understand how to read Helper Applications, and/or know
which file types are involved with what application.

Thank you!
Larry S.

Isn't the "Content Type" column the same as file types?

I have 3 listed for mpeg-4. They are mpeg-4 audio, mpeg-4 video
(video/mp4) and mpeg-4 video (video/x-mv4), all set to "Always Ask"
under the "Action" column.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14>
My Helper Applications list has lots of listings but names very few file types, and has no entries at all for "audio" or "video". That's why I was trying to figure out what program was playing the MP4 file.

Larry S.