mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Larry S. wrote:
Took your advice with the asterisks, saved the file, then opened it
again. Result: the "wrong" profile information was gone (!), but SM
still opens with File Not Found referring to the wrong profile.

Apologies if I've missed it, but could you post the exact error message
and the path it's complaining about? Feel free to anonymise the username
and random part of the profile folder name if you prefer, but make sure
it's still clear which path is the intended profile and which is the
wrong one.

Have you copied a files from one profile folder to another at any point
during setting up the profiles? I wonder if perhaps it's not the whole
profile that's being loaded from the wrong folder, but maybe the
"correct" profile has a reference to a path in the other profile folder.
That could happen if you copied configuration files from one profile to
another without adjusting any relevant paths, and may have appeared to
work until you deleted the original profile.

Question:(displaying our ignorance) should we have also edited the ini
file so the first line "Start with last profile=1" be changed to point
to profile 0 instead?

I'm not certain offhand, but I think "1" means "start with the last
profile" and "0" means "don't start with the last profile", i.e. show
the profile manager dialog where you can select a profile. Since you're
having problems getting it to use the correct profile, it might help
anyway to set it to "0" and then select the right profile.

If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to make a backup
of all the profile folders (and profiles.ini) before messing around with
them too much.

Mark.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it was copied from a backup copy made with the old (now replaced) computer. What are the "configuration files"? I only know about the "ini" file, which has been discussed in this thread. The only other choice that I know about is the "start in" entry in the shortcut properties, also discussed. Neither seems to make a difference, even if corrected per advice received here.