"Google wants email clients to implement OAuth2.0-based authentication, and has stated they intend to cause disruption (hassles) for users that authenticate (login) using a username/password with the POP, IMAP, or SMTP protocol. OAuth 2.0 requires the email client to launch a browser to display a HTML form provided by Google (which can do anything they want) , and then use a token that it returns."

- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2852231

I just ran into this and could not receive gmail via SeaMonkey. The solution in my case was to enable "less secure apps".

Can anyone explain what this is all about?