-------- Original Message --------
I have version 2.40 installed on two Thinkpad laptops. Each is setup for
manual updates. Today, for the first time, the following message
appeared on a narrow brown band across the top of the screen on one of
them: "Your copy of SeaMonkey is old and probably has known security
flaws, but you have disabled automatic update checks. Please update to a
newer version."

The note appeared on seamonkey-project.org., where I went via Help/About
to check for an update.

It seems suspicious that
1) the home office wouldn't know what version I had (which is the
latest), and,
2) make the assumption that it was out of date in the absence of not
knowing what was installed.

Mistake, or something more sinister?

Additionally, the screenshot I took shows <about:> in the URL box, which is what appears when you select About SeaMonkey from the drop down menu, so the band appeared there as well.