On 9/19/2016 6:58 AM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
> The NY Times article of 9/19/2016 titled:
>
> "Adblock Plus, Created to Protect Users From Ads, Instead Opens the Door"
>
> states that "In 2011, Adblock Plus was altered and became a tool that,
> instead of blocking bad ads, allowed ads it deemed 'acceptable' to be
> seen, often for a price -- a controversial move that has positioned it
> as a gatekeeper between advertisers and its huge user base."
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/19/business/media/adblock-plus-created-to-protect-users-from-ads-opens-the-door.html
>
> So is there an alternative to Adblock Plus?

Nothing new: https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads

As Chris recommended: uBlock Origin - but be aware of the configuration
options as it can be too powerful if you are not aware of all settings &
start turning things on without understanding the implications:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock
  https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode

Disclaimer: I use both Adblock Plus and uBlock Plus (not simultaneously)
depending upon which browser I use & what I want to block.

Also be aware that, like Adblock and Adblock Plus, there are two
versions: uBlock and uBlock Origins. More info here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock_Origin

If you want to try uBlock (I do not recommend) instead:
https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/ublock
  https://www.ublock.org/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/ublock/?src=ss