On 9/19/2016 8:39 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Once a year, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation sends me a
> vehicle registration renewal notice, inviting me to visit their website
> <http://www.dmv.pa.gov> to perform the process quickly and easily. And
> once a year I try and fail because my "The service you have selected
> uses non-persistent cookies. Your browser is not currently set up to
> allow non-persistent cookies." This is a lie.
>
> My cookie settings allow first-party cookies and reject third-party
> cookies, and clear all cache, history, and cookies at the end of a
> SeaMonkey session. I also have InternetExploiter 11, with exactly the
> same settings, and the site works. I've confirmed that both browsers are
> accepting cookies.
>
> On examining the cookies set in IE 11, I see one that I don't recognize
> from SM's Cookie Manager. It's called "cookie:paul b.
> gallagher@localhost/" (this is the filename). If I delete it from
> ...\Windows\Temporary Files\ and try to proceed, the site immediately
> sets it again and continues as if nothing had happened.
>
> I've tried to contact PennDOT, but their system is designed to prevent
> any contact with their webmaster, so no luck there.
>
> Any bright ideas? Could the two browsers have a different definition of
> "third party"? Is there a way to set SM to accept this weird cookie?

In your SeaMonkey profile with SeaMonkey NOT running, mark the profile
of the file cookies.sqlite as "read only".  When you then launch
SeaMonkey, set your preferences to allow all cookies.  As soon as you
are done at the PennDOT Web site, the site will think you are allowing
all cookies and that it has written persistant cookies to your hard
drive.  NO cookies will actually be written.  If you are concerned about
having those cookies in SeaMonkey's memory while you surf elsewhere,
terminate and then re-launch SeaMonkey.

--
Donald Trump claims everyone likes him.  Does that
include his ex-wives?  How about the students who