My voicemail messages are sent to me as MP3 files attached to an email.

I've always just double-clicked the file name in the little "Attachments:"
window, which triggered a SM browser window that let me hit the play button and listen to
the message.

Lately when I try to listen to a message, the browser window is triggered but
it's just a black screen. If I save the MP3 file and open it in other software,
it plays fine, so the problem isn't with the attachments themselves.

Does anyone have an idea what might have changed?

The only recent change I recall is changing a setting so that videos on web
pages wouldn't auto-play; could that block MP3 email attachments???