On 12/7/2016 1:59 PM, Mason83 wrote:
On 07/12/2016 20:37, TCW wrote:
On 12/7/2016 1:04 PM, Mason83 wrote:
On 07/12/2016 19:04, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

If you have a working build environment save yourself the trouble and
just build from comm-release. 2.47 is stable but requires VS2015 Update 3.

Full build will take around 3h to 5h on my Thinkpad X200s and 30 to 40
minutes on my desktop. Both in a vm. Native sure is faster.

Why would build be much faster native vs in a VM?

It's mostly user-space integer code and storage access.

Virtual Machine = Virtual Performance

Well, I'm no expert on virtualization, but on modern solutions,
user-space code runs at native speed (directly on bare metal).
Only privileged instructions actually require special handling.
And of course, device access as well.

I suppose compiling a large project like Firefox/Seamonkey may
require many storage accesses. One way to test would be to
store the whole source code on a RAM drive :-)

Regards.

We run VBox on Mac for Win7 x64 VM on SSDs. Apps run well enough but not nearly as fast as on native hardware. Some apps don't work the same as on native hardware.