Gordon Weast <gordonwe...@charter.net> writes:

> I've downloaded the 64 bit Linux version for my Ubuntu machine.
>
> I picked up the current 2.46 .tar.bz2 file.
>
> When I untar it and run it, Help->About still reports that it's 2.39.
> Is this really 2.46, but with the internal version number unchanged
> from 2.39?
>
> Since Ubuntu doesn't install the 64 bit environment by default, the 64
> bit version is the way to go here.
>
> I did try to install all the pieces for 32 bit executables, but after
> finding and installing a number of libs, it still won't run. Seamonkey
> is using some .so files that I wasn't able to find for 32 bit.  At
> least, I couldn't identify all the packages to pick up.

If you open a terminal command line and type:

type seamonkey

It will tell you where it is going to pick up the executable from. It
will be somewhere in your path. And it should be from where you were
expecting.

What I did (on opensuse) was uninstall the distribution's seamonkey, and
then switched to root and unpacked the tar into /usr/local/. This should
give you the executable as /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey. Then create a
simlink from /usr/local/bin/seamonkey to /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey:

ln -s /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/local/bin/seamonkey

Then check that /usr/local/bin is in your path with

env|grep PATH

Check the version with:

seamonkey --version