When I make a mistake entering an e-mail password, SeaMonkey (2.38)
used to offer a dialogue allowing me to enter the correct one.

Now, no dialogue is offered, just a box saying
"Error with account xxxxxx
Sending of password for user xxx...@rogers.com did not succeed.
Mail Server pop.broadband.rogers.com responded: Server error -
Please try again later."

I have to shut SeaMonkey down and run it again (putting in the
correct password!) to get to my e-mail.  I don't screw up the
password very often, but it is a PITA when I do.

Is there anything I can do to get back to the previous behaviour?

Rogers uses Yahoo for e-mail, and I think this started when Yahoo
recently made a number of security-related changes.

No stored passwords.  No add-ons.