EE wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

Just install an Adblocker.

Adblock Plus 2.9 seems to be broken right now. Why it is still
distributed is beyond me. 2.8.2 works. uBlock Origin should also work
fine.

I have ABP 2.8.2, which as you say runs fine; checking for updates
returns nothing, so I don't know how to get 2.9.

One longstanding gripe I've had with Wladimir Palant is that I can never
tell what the latest version is by visiting his website. So if the
software says "no updates available" I guess I must have the latest
version, but that doesn't rule out the possibility that the update
checker is broken.

Adblock Plus 2.9 is for SM 2.48 or greater. That is why you will not see any update available for 2.46.

This is useful to know that there may be issues.

I have ABP 2.9, and I'm running the latest akalla build of 2.50. A day or two ago, I noticed that all my permissions settings in ABP are missing, including subscriptions, personally-crafted rules, as well as rules built by the Element Hiding Helper for ABP. I use both of the latter extensively, and having all my rules deleted (and I don't have them backed up) is annoying, although perhaps not without benefit, as I'm seeing less blockage of things that I want to see.

On further testing this morning, I find that if I reenable a subscription and/or add a personal rule, those get cleared if I restart Seamonkey. What I have seems to get cleared at the end of the session.

I also found that all my cookie permissions got cleared a few days ago, although rebuilding those seems to be surviving restarts of Seamonkey.

For the moment, knowing that I've seen updates of 2.50 from akalla recently, I'm going to guess that what I'm seeing are the effects of those updates, and the inherent risk of running a contributed build, rather than a fully-sanctioned official release.

Although the current situation is annoying, I can probably live with it for a while.

Smith