On 1/10/18, Ray_Net <tbrraymond.schmit...@tbrscarlet.be> wrote:
> Lee wrote on 10-01-18 05:35:

>>> My Anti-Virus had created an entry in the registry to tell microsoft
>>> that he may install the patch KB4056892
>>> and the day after, windows-update runned silently installing this patch.
>>
>> Have you also updated your cpu microcode?
>>
> How to do that ? with a soldering iron ? :-)

Preferably with an update from whoever made your machine.

I've got a dell, so I started here:
https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308587/microprocessor-side-channel-vulnerabilities--cve-2017-5715--cve-2017-5753--cve-2017-5754---impact-on-dell-products?lang=en

Apply the update, do the powershell bit:
PS C:\temp\2do\SpeculationControl> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: True

Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5754 [rogue data cache load]

Hardware requires kernel VA shadowing: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is present: True
Windows OS support for kernel VA shadow is enabled: True
Windows OS support for PCID performance optimization is enabled: True
[not required for security]

BTIHardwarePresent             : True
BTIWindowsSupportPresent       : True
BTIWindowsSupportEnabled       : True
BTIDisabledBySystemPolicy      : False
BTIDisabledByNoHardwareSupport : False
KVAShadowRequired              : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportPresent : True
KVAShadowWindowsSupportEnabled : True
KVAShadowPcidEnabled           : True

everything looks good ..  except the POC still works :(
C:\cygwin\home\Lee\t>spectre.exe
Reading 40 bytes:
Reading at malicious_x = 00000FE4... Success: 0x54='T' score=2
Reading at malicious_x = 00000FE5... Success: 0x68='h' score=2
Reading at malicious_x = 00000FE6... Success: 0x65='e' score=7 (second
best: 0x01 score=1)
Reading at malicious_x = 00000FE7... Success: 0x20=' ' score=2
   <.. snip ..>
Reading at malicious_x = 00001008... Success: 0x61='a' score=2
Reading at malicious_x = 00001009... Success: 0x67='g' score=2
Reading at malicious_x = 0000100A... Success: 0x65='e' score=2
Reading at malicious_x = 0000100B... Success: 0x2E='.' score=2

*sigh*  latest OS update + latest BIOS update + latest CPU microcode
and the proof of concept exploit still works.

So we're back to noscript + requestpolicy continued as the mitigation.

Lee