Cecil Bankston wrote:
My usual POP access to my G-Mail was blocked this AM, with a message referring me to the following explanation:

If an app or device doesn’t meet our security standards, Google will block anyone who tries to sign in from that app or device. Because these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safe.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

    The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with version 6 or below
    The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
    Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird

What exactly is Google considering insecure about Mozilla-based mail clients?

To restore access I had to change a G-Mail setting to allow access by insecure apps.

Or you could have switched authentication method to OAuth2. SeaMonkey supports it now.

--
Take care,

Jonathan