DoctorBill wrote:
I hate Windows 7 !
I knew XP quite well, but Windows 7 is a ^#$@#^%$$  &^%&$$#O^E !

I try to search for a file on my hard drive(s) and use that window on the Upper
Right Side
of Windows Explorer (is that still the name of it?)

I type in something - like *.spag*.*   --- looking for an old recipe for
spaghetti in an
old WORD file.   I use the wildcard (*) because I don't remember the exact NAME
i saved it
under years ago.
I press enter and I get an IMMEDIATE "No Items To Match Your Search"  -
IMMEDIATE.
I know it didn't search squat - I am looking thru an ENTIRE USB drive of one
terabyte
capacity !
Once in a blue moon, I can see the blue bar progress from left to right at the
top - it is
searching !  But 99% of the time, it responds INSTANTLY - no search was really
done.

HOW do I get this $&@%# program to actually DO a search for a file ?

DoctorBill

I dumped Win search on day 1 of win7 and installed Everything and Ransack.
Everything is slightly faster than Ransack but Ransack can also searche within
files.
https://www.voidtools.com/
https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

Have you installed Classic Shell yet?