EE wrote on 08/06/18 03:11:
Daniel wrote:
Does anyone, here, ever "Mark Thread as Read" in their newsgroups??

Late last year, I mucked up badly by deleting my main SeaMonkey profile (Yes, what I goose I am!!), so then I had to re-create my profile, including my account for this server, and four groups on news.mozilla.org, and my UseNet server account, with about twenty groups on news.eternal-september.org.

Then I went through and downloaded all the headers for those groups. On this server, I was up-to-date with my reading, so just marked the groups as read ... job done!

Different story for UseNet! What I had usually been doing was read all the "new" threads and threads with some unread messages in them and then read some of the "old" threads so, after downloading all the threads, then, for any thread I had posted to, I marked the entire thread as read.

And then I kept reading .....

Then, in one of the UseNet groups, I wasn't interested in one of the newer threads, so I killed that thread when there were about 25 posts. To be honest, I'm not sure, now, if I "Mark Thread as Read" or if I "Message - Ignore Thread (K)", but, now, when I look through that newsgroup, that thread shows as 12 Unread out of 42, or some such, and, in the Threads pane, if I expand that thread, I see about 30 "Read" messages and ZERO unread messages.

And, no matter how many times I click on "Mark Thread as Read", the figures still stand ... I'm told I still have 12 Unread out of 42.

It didn't worry me much .... until tonight, when I was reading (I think, another) group, one of the threads that I had "Mark Tread as Read"/"Message Ignore Thread" was showing as 16 unread out of 48, or some such, and all these unread messages were in "twigs" that I hadn't contributed to but the "twig" that I had contributed to *WAS* marked as read.

This leads me to ask .... When I click on "Mark Thread as Read" does SeaMonkey really mark the entire thread as read (as it should) or does it just mark the TWIG as read ... which in many threads would be enough??

Or has "Mark Thread as Read" gotten mixed up with "Message   Ignore Sub-thread (Shift K)" or something??

P.S. In the second case, I'm down to less than 40,000 unread messages out of a total on about 220,000 messages so I sure hope no-one suggests I delete the index file entry and start from scratch again!! ;-(

TIA

Stopped and Started many times to no effect ... for me!! ;-(

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623