On 9/1/2018 10:26 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> My bookmarks have grown like Topsy.
> [ I've > 300 folders and >5000 bookmarks ]
> I have many duplicates and the tree structure is a mess.
> My goals include:
>    1. Create a HTML file of bookmarks which:
>       a. clearly shows the hierarchical structure of nested folders.
>       b. allows searching for folder names as well as page titles.
>       c. clearly shows in which the searched for file resides.
>    2. find and purge duplicates.
>    3. move folders around to create a more reasonable structure.
>
> Looking for useful tools I found jq [https://stedolan.github.io/jq/].
>
> An outline of my procedure is:
>   1. export SeaMonkey bookmarks in JSON format.
>   2. use jq to pretty print the JSON. {It does so nicely.}
>   3. create HTML file described above.
>   4. find duplicate targets and delete all but one.
>   5. Each leaf of the bookmark tree is an object.
>      Move these objects around to create a more friendly tree.
>   6. Import the clean organized bookmarks.
>
> The Tcl code below does #3. I've only sketched how to do #4.
> [requires having done
>      jq '.' yourrawbookmarks.json > prettytestalpha.json
> ]
>
> Comments?

        [method snipped]

Long ago, I realized that I wanted to see my bookmarks more often than
any Web page.  I set the preference variable
browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to True.  Actually, I have
        user_pref("browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML", true);
        // automatically export bookmarks into an HTML file
in my user.js file in my profile.  (The // indicates a comment, to
remind me why I did this.)  Every time I terminate SeaMonkey, my
bookmarks are automatically exported to the file bookmarks.html in my
profile.

In the userContent.css file in the chrome folder in my profile, I added
   url("file:///xxx")
        { body { margin-left: 2em !important; font-size: 12pt }
        h3 + dl { margin-left: 2em !important }  }
where "xxx" is the complete path to the file bookmarks.html.  (If you do
not have a userContent.css file, copy the file userContent-example.css
to make a userContent.css file.)

Using [Edit > Preferences > Browser], I set the radio button to "Home
page" for all three "Display on" selections and the same complete path
to the file bookmarks.html as above (including the file:/// but without
the quotation marks) in the input area "Clicking the home button takes
you to this group of pages".

All this gives me a nicely formatted display of my bookmarks.  Folder
names are bold.  Folder contents are indented, and subfolder contents
are indented farther.

Also, I do intentionally have some duplicate bookmarks.  When I create
them, I set duplicate tags for them.  This is not quite as good as the
old Netscape browser capability of creating a shortcut for a bookmark.
With that capability, changing a bookmark automatically changed the
shortcut.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com>

Too often, Twitter is a source of verbal vomit.  Examples include Donald
Trump, Roseanne Barr, and Elon Musk.