ALWAYS
download software for the SOURCE
check it with antivirus software
be weary of anything you download
have a plan B, just in case !!

it's a US and THEM world !!

Wolfgang Steger wrote on 9/17/18 5:33 AM:
Am 2018-09-17 um 00:18 schrieb DoctorBill:
I have a friend who downloaded the so called FREE  "AVIRA" - an anti-virus program from Germany.  Google 'avira' to see it.

He ran it and it said he has a Virus and that he now  HAS TO  buy the anti-virus program OR....  they (Avira)  will lock up his computer !
THAT is called Extortion !    Germans.
My friend is a retired MD, so I believe him.   He would not lie about that.

Take what I've written here as you will.  I thought I should relate this to everyone on the Internet.

DoctorBill

I know Avira for a long time (and did use it also):
I believe he must have got it from a fake source - malware disguising as Avira.

This is not unusual nowadays, so always check your download sources!

Just my 2cc, Wolfgang

P.S: Having said that I also must note that nowadays "Windows Defender"
      delivered with Windows 10 (or the "Security Essentials" for older
      versions of MS Windows) is usually sufficient to protect your
      computer as long as you trust MS somehow. Otherwise consider
      switching away to a user friendly Linux distribution. From a
      trusted source, of course.

---
https://www.avg.com