On 11/19/2018 02:47 AM, Daniel wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote on 19/11/2018 5:22 AM:
I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 (under Debian 9.0). I downloaded it from the SeaMonkey site.

After an long absence I decided to again follow a USENET group (comp.lang.forth).

My provider indicates there are ~150k posts available. I chose to download 5000, marking others "As Read". After a reasonable delay they appeared and a thread of interest (~20 posts) was the third one displayed.

I successfully applied the same two custom tags to each, chose "Display message threads, and read that thread.

*1st symptom*
While scrolling back to see if there were other posts of immediate interest, I found multiple post marked as "read" - an error.

*2nd symptom*
I wanted _all_ post marked as "not read".
As SeaMonkey has always required (I started with Netscape 4.?), I selected ALL posts and marked them as "read". I'd forgotten that SeaMonkey chokes when asked to mark too many posts as "not read" [fails with a "script busy notification" requiring a shutdown/restart of SM. I found that it was happy marking ~1k posts "not read" at a time.
_QUESTION_ Is there a work around for this?

*3rd symptom*
I then searched Subject lines for a keyword. I discovered the first post downloaded was the last of an interesting thread. I decided I wanted all 150k headers. I unsubscribed the group. I then subscribed subscribed again choosing to download *ALL* 150k headers. It ground to a halt and I could not exit SeaMonkey. I chose to a hardware reset and a cold boot. _QUESTION_ How can I download all the headers. I know doing 5k at a time works. I suspect 10-20k at a time would work. This is obviously far outside the scope of normal use. BUT, does it rate a low priority bug report?

TIA

Richard, above you typed that there were ~150k messages ... 'I chose to download 5000, marking others "As Read"'.

1st Solution, maybe
Did you also set up your VIEW preferences?? Such as View->Threads->Threads with Unread?

Doing so should get rid of all those threads you were not interested in, and only leave those threads which you were interested in *AND* which have unread messages!

2nd Solution.
When I've had to re-subscribe to a news group and downloaded heaps of messages, which I've then had to "Mark as Read", I sometimes got that extra screen telling me there is a problem. I click "Continue" or some such and the process continued. Sometimes, in a popular news group, I would have to do this several times, but, eventually they would all get "Mark as Read".

3rd Solution
My suggestion would be just let it go, marking all those messages can take some time, and you could be asked several times .... but, for me, the process does get to an end!!

In my case MURPHY zapped himself.
I just found out a desired program is 64 bit only and due to inertia I'm still using a 32 bit Linux. I'll install the 64 bit Linux and download the USENET group to that system. Thank you.