On 2018-11-27, Ant wrote:

> On 11/27/2018 8:16 AM, EE wrote:
>> Nuno Silva wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Seamonkey Navigator has been my main web browser for more than a year
>>> now, but I still have a few user profiles left in Firefox.
>>>
>>> What would be the best way to move these profiles to Seamonkey? I would
>>> like to preserve as much of the original profiles as possible,
>>> including:
>>>
>>> - History
>>> - Bookmarks
>>> - Preferences
>>> - Installed extensions, if compatible
>>>    (there are no webextensions)
>>> - passwords and cookies
>>> - userContent.css
>>>
>>> Could/should I just move the profile directories to
>>> $HOME/.mozilla/seamonkey and add them to profiles.ini?
>>>

>>> (Is there some way I could then disable Mail&News only in these migrated
>>> profiles?)
>>>
>> The file places.sqlite has history and bookmarks.  I have no idea if
>> they are cross-compatible any more, however.  Bookmarks are easy
>> enough to transfer.  Back them up or export as HTML and restore or
>> import into SeaMonkey.
>
> SM v2.49.4's old places.sqlite will work in the newer Firefox
> versions, but not in reversed. Firefox will upgrade it.
>

>> I imagine that some preference settings have changed, so comparing
>> them by comparing prefs.js files or from about:config would be a
>> good idea. Since SeaMonkey does newsgroups and email as well, there
>> are a lot more preference settings for it.
>>
>> If the extensions for Firefox were also written for SeaMonkey, there
>> would be no problem, but I would check install.rdf in the .xpi files
>> to make sure that they would be compatible with the target app
>> (SeaMonkey) version.  If the extensions were not written for
>> SeaMonkey, then running them through the converter website
>> (http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/) might be able to fix them.
>> That would depend on whether the extension needs a specific
>> interface or not.
>>
>> To transfer passwords, you need to copy key3.db and logins.json.
>>
>> For cookies, you need cookies.sqlite.
>>
>> You could simply copy the chrome directory into the new profile for
>> userContent.css.
>
> For me, I usually skip all this, redo them from scratch, etc. since I
> only care about my places.sqlite. Everything else can be recovered.

Thanks for all the replies!,

The reason why I wanted to avoid doing things by hand or from scratch is
that it's not just one, but five separate profiles.

Today I tried to do the migration by moving the profile directories and
it worked. There are some settings I still have to set or tweak, but
other than that, so far everything seems to show up in Seamonkey:
passwords, cookies, history, even some extensions.

And it feels faster than Firefox.

--
Nuno Silva