Am 18.12.18 um 15:32 schrieb Paul in Houston, TX:
[...]
I use the Enterprise version of Outlook and it stores all emails in one large *.ost file.
Mine is currently ~3.5 GB.
Afaik, no Win o/s has stored files of the same name in the same folder.
Maybe because it was based on the dos 8.3 system.

Completely off-topic, but an OST-File is just a mirror of an Exchange mailbox for offline use. Used to contain the whole mailbox, but since Outlook 2013 or 2016 it can also be filtered to contain only newer parts of it.

On the other hand, Outlook without Exchange uses ".PST"-Files, each one containing a whole mailbox with inbox, outbox, other folders, calendars and contacts etc.

Btw, no filesystem I know can store different files with the same name in the same folder.

Just my 2cc, Wolfgang