bo1953 wrote:
Hello all - my issue is a corrupted SM suite.

I Am getting upwards of 150 - 200 popstate's at each running of SM.

Several years ago, when this happened, I had to uninstall and reinstall the program...

I was hoping to avoid that, if at all possible, but will if not possible.

This situation has been happening for the last few weeks and is very frustrating, to say the least...

Don't bother with uninstall/reinstall -- that's only useful if you have positive reason to believe that program binaries and/or registry entries are corrupt. That may have been something that was necessary for XP machines, but since Windows Vista and later (i.e., Windows 6.x systems), that's normally a waste of time.

Almost always, problems of this nature are related to your user profile. And unless you zap your profile when you uninstall, the problem data will still be there after you reinstall.

Before you start playing with things, make sure you get a backup of your complete profile. In Windows, you want to copy the contents of %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey -- that will get all your profiles.

The first place to start is with Safe Mode: Help -> Restart with Add-ons disabled. That will not only temporarily disable your extensions, but put many of your personal prefs back to default status. I've found that sometimes, a one-off run in Safe Mode is enough to clear problems.

If Safe Mode clears things, and problems come back when you restart in normal mode, Safe Mode also has an option to do a reset, which commits Safe Mode settings permanently.

My guess is that your problem is with one of the underlying SQLite databases -- probably needing reindexing. I haven't dug down to that level that I know much of the detail, but my suspicion is that if you do a reset, then that's going to force rebuild/reindexing of those databases.

If you're really desperate, you can try building a new profile, although for Seamonkey, that takes a little more work than it would for Firefox, because you're having to migrate both browser and mail configurations.

What you get with doing a new profile is that you can build a new profile without disturbing the old profile. And in the process of the new profile, you can copy data incrementally -- e.g., prefs.js, bookmarks, mail store, contacts, etc. one at a time, where you still have the existing profile to work from. Thus, copy one feature from the old profile to the new one, then verify it behaving in the new profile, before copying another feature (and when you're working at file/folder level, make sure that Seamonkey isn't running -- never copy files to/from a running profile).

Smith