Nuno Silva wrote:

Try setting (for example, in about:config) the mail.strictly_mime preference to true, which, if I understand correctly, will make Mail&News use quoted-printable for outgoing messages.

Is that equivalent to this?

Edit | Preferences | Mail & Newsgroups | Text Encoding | Composing Messages:
[x] For messages that contain 8-bit characters, use 'quoted printable' MIME encoding. Leave unchecked to send the messages as is.

P.S. Just wondering OT: since "messages" is plural, shouldn't we say "send the messages as are"? ;-)
<https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/9370/how-should-i-pluralise-as-is>

Paul B. Gallagher