On 01/12/2020 08:38 AM, mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]

I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.

I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
*IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.

The symptoms are:
   1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
   2. The page never loads/displays.

I see the same, but only if the link is opened in a new tab.

I see the same. I had been investigating a vendor provided script and had been opening a series of man pages in multiple tabs.

  Just clicking the link (to open in the same tab) or opening in a new window works.  Opening in a new tab (either via context menu, Ctrl+click or middle-click) behaves as you describe.  Attempting to reload the page doesn't help, but clicking in the address bar and pressing "Enter" does load the page.

That was part of what prompted me to post.

Having opened in a new tab, attempting to view the page source has "Source of: wyciwyg://14/https://manpages.debian.org/..."; in the title bar - truncation is mine, but the "wyciwyg://14/" looks odd.

I see similar. In a test just now, instead of '14' I see '48' or '49' depending on link clicked. I'll investigate further.

Viewing source of a successfully loaded page shows "Source of: https://manpages.debian.org/..."; as would be expected.

Is this a:
  1. site problem?
  2. SeaMonkey failure?
  3. an unidentified local problem?

Suggestions?

Not sure.  The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's failing to load looks like it could be some interaction between caching and something JavaScript is doing on those pages.

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.

Thank you