Thanks very much for your  instruction.
Indeed repairing leaded to the disappearance of the mails. I made the backup before but the file ist too big to be opened. But it seems that the mails are not so important to take too much effort to restore them.

mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com schrieb:
k.weber wrote:
SM 2.53.1 Windows 10

Around 100 mails within a time span of 20 days are indicated in the inbox list properly but the content is lost. I wonder what has happened and how I can restore them.

Before doing anything more, close SeaMonkey and back up your profile. It's possible that the mailbox file might be corrupted, and some attempts to "repair" it might delete the content you're after.

It may be that the content is gone from the mailbox folder anyway, but for some reason the index still includes the header data to show in the list.  You could try right-clicking the folder, select "Properties" and click the "Repair Folder" button.  You might find those emails are then gone though - hence backing it up first - although that would probably indicate that the content isn't actually there anyway.

Depending on the server type, SeaMonkey can be set to only download the headers, and leave the content on the server.  Make sure you're not working "offline" - File > Offline, there should be no tick next to "Work Offline" - if that's set, it won't attempt to download the content to view even if your network is connected.  You may then want to check the settings for each account under Edit > Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings - particularly the "Server Settings" and "Disc Space" / "Synchronisation & Storage" sections for each account.

Failing that, it may be a case of manually inspecting the mailbox file to see whether there's any data there which can be recovered.  I once (about 15 years ago) had a mailbox file somehow corrupted in such a way that the boundaries between messages weren't correctly recognised, leading to the headers of some emails appearing appended to the text of others, and the content of other emails not showing anywhere even though it was in the file.  In some cases, deleting one email would also delete part of the next email in the file.