Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Bill Spikowski wrote:
NFN Smith wrote:
Bill Spikowski wrote:
I'm trying to update my Seamonkey 2.49.5 installations on Win10 and Win7
computers.

The installations seem to work fine; but then a couple hours later, I see that
SM has regressed to version 2.49.5. This has happened twice each on two
different Win10 computers. I've looked at the various warnings about this
update but can't find any that would explain this behavior.

What might I be missing???

I'm not aware of specific issues, but I know that when I upgraded to 2.53.1, I
uninstalled 2.49.5 first (as well as backing up my profiles by copying the
contents of %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey to another location).

I'm wondering if there's a possibility of you having problems with 32 and 64
bit versions.  If your 2.49.5 is 32 bit and you're running a 64 bit installer
for 2.53.3, I'm pretty sure the release notes instruct you to uninstall the 32
bit version first. In Windows, 32 bit files are normally put in c:\program
files (x86) and 64 bit files are normally put in c:\program files.

Technically, it is possible to install multiple versions of Seamonkey side by
side (as long as you don't run them simultaneously), and I have done this on a
virtual machine.

My suspicion is that you may have two versions installed, and where the
shortcut you're using for launching Seamonkey points to the installation of
2.49.5.

If you want to dig further, two things to look at:

1) Right-click on a Seamonkey icon, look at the Properties and go to the
Shortcut tab, and in the Target line, note the name/location of what binary
file is being opened.

2) Use the Explorer to check your Program Files and Program Files (x86)
folders. Check to see which (or both) have Seamonkey folders. Check the
properties (Details tab) of any Seamonkey.exe files to verify version numbers.

If you're seeing any indication of Seamonkey installed in multiple locations, I
suggest making sure you uninstall all copies of Seamonkey (and Windows will
probably also report two versions active), and then install a new copy.

Smith

Yes -- I think this turned out to be my problem!

I had 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Seamonkey installed on both machines; one
with both versions of 2.53.3, and one with 2.53.3 and 2.49.5.

I uninstalled the 32-bit versions and adjusted the shortcuts to point to the
64-bit versions, and both machines worked properly right away -- didn't even
require use of my backed-up profiles.

I probably was running both versions at once. I normally keep the mail window
open all day, and typically open and close multiple browser windows as I need
them. The conflict probably accounted for yesterday's strange behavior of my
POP3 email servers as well!

As always, I greatly appreciate those in this group who go to the trouble of
helping out we the bewildered!

Be warned that "running both versions at once" is a very dangerous - ok,
suicidal - thing to do with those two versions.
When you move from a 2.49.x (or older) version to a 2.53.x version, the profile
undergoes some migration reformatting which renders part of it useless for
2.49.x levels.  That is the reason for THOSE BIG WARNINGS IN RED IN THE RELEASE
NOTES which you should have seen.
If you then do a fallback to a 2.49.x level then it will mark some of the files
as unuseable and rename them, replacing them with valid files with no content.
I'm rather assuming that going forwards again will cause those no-content files
to be migrated in turn, you will have lost your original data.
The Release Notes are slightly misleading here in that there are imho no
problems switching between 2.53.x (or 2.49.x) releases, just when you switch
between the two families.

Yes -- I saw the clear warnings about NOT going back after updating -- that's
why I was so concerned when it seemed to be happening to me, despite my best
efforts to avoid it...

I seem to have suffered few if any ill effects; maybe because I never tried to "go
back." When I was (inadvertently) running 2.49 again, I did notice difficulties with
my POP mail server; but once I deleted the 2.49 version and both of my 32-bit versions,
those problems disappeared.

I keep rigorous daily backups, otherwise I'd be petrified to update important
software at all!