Daniel wrote:
Ray_Net wrote on 13/09/2020 5:23 AM:
NFN Smith wrote on 12-09-20 18:27:
Danny Kile wrote:
Tried to access the following website
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a

Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent. Then I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried Internet Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google Chrome and it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How do I get it to run in SeaMonkey?

Google has its own way of how they want to do things.

For simple interaction, I've found that even the search bar at google.com has a display quirk. However, if set the User Agent to show *only* Firefox, the quirk goes away.  Thus, in about:config, I have added an entry:

 general.useragent.override.google.com    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

I can't speak for Internet Explorer, but with Mozilla-derived browsers, it seems that Google doesn't handle things well if the UA string shows both "Firefox" and the name of the true browser. I've tested with both Seamonkey and PaleMoon, and I presume the same applies to Waterfox, as well.  If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away.

You could probably get the same effect if you spoof a Chromium browser, whether Chrome proper, or a Chromium derivative, such as the new Edge, Opera, etc.

On the other hand, I've seen developer notes that indicate that where Google is going with YouTube, there's beginning to appear some things that work properly only in Chromium browsers, and even some stuff that may not work as well in Firefox, especially versions older than 78.x ESR.

Although you don't' have to abandon Seamonkey, you may want to get used to the idea that you don't necessarily use Seamonkey for everything (remember, there's nothing that requires you to commit to exclusive use of a single browser), and be prepared to use something other than Seamonkey to interact with certain sites.

Smith
You said: "If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away. "

I have: user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");

And the https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
doesnot work.

Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen ....... with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled waaayyyy down, and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes with 3 months of Google One.".

Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something in all that blank screen??

In my 2.53.3 with no extensions I get a page with some Google Store menu items across the top, a Google Pixel 4a Overview and pricing information with a "Buy" button in blue.

The rest is blank unless I scroll way down, then I see the same.

In Firefox there is a lot more animated imaging and information between the two sections. Mostly about how great the phone is for taking pictures.

Something SeaMonkey and the other non working browser must not support.

IMHO they should stop marketing these things as phones and start marketing them as cameras with phone capabilities. All I ever see in ads for new phones is how great the camera is.

YMMV