I have exactly the same experience (just on 64-bit Windows).
Slowdowns start to happen around Seamonkey reaching 2GB of RAM usage and they extend for me not only to tab switching but all, site scrolling, mail sending etc. "about:memory" + GC seems to help a little bit but honestly the only option that really helps me is brutal kill of process and my beloved "restore previous session" functionality - that does the trick for few next hours.

bdelmee wrote:
Unfortunately this is my experience, too (on 64-bit linux)

I typically keep 8-10 tabs open, which a t the end of a day
typically means SM2.49.5 uses about 1-1.2 GB RAM.
With SM2.53.3 this balloons to 2.5-3GB - much higher.
There are also perceivable delays to switch between tabs.

I am not complaining - i have been using the Mozilla suite since before its 1.0 release and am very thankful to the developers who have kept SeaMonkey alive.
Perhaps if I (and other users) spent more time with betas, things would be
better but the trend is worrying.