I noticed SM was using ~50% of my 8GB of RAM. I first closed the Email, which made little difference; Closing the tabs one by one until they were ALL closed, dropped the memory usage to 40%. Closing and reopening the empty window dropped the usage to 15%.

What the heck is making the only window with nothing in it use 40%?! And how do I avoid it? It's a nuisance to close/open SM every time it starts to suck the socks off the RAM, but if I don't do it, the Total Ram usage exceeds 80%, and things get slow, and can even go "not Responding" for 5-30 seconds.