Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
I still use it on 2.53 and 2.54. I do not see why it would not work, all is does is take you profile and zip and compress is in to a single file. It does allow you to decide want you want to backup or restore.

I guess you could just use a WinZip program although not as quick and easy.

If that is all it does then you have to ask yourself the question: Why did the developer abandon it citing "too many Firefox releases"?

Some may depend on how you try to use it. If you're doing complete backup and restore, you might be OK.

All we know for sure about reasons for abandonment is what is listed on the developer's page.

I can speculate that the issues being caused by Mozilla's Rapid Release scheduling is frequent changes to data files being used by individual components, and where it was becoming increasingly difficult to do a partial data restore from a backup, without risking loss of data.

I believe that work on MozBackup stopped sometime around Firefox 50 (give or take a couple of versions), but before changes happened around Firefox 54 that ended up killing backward compatibility of profiles, and both Thunderbird and Seamonkey are now doing that, as well.

(Recently, I've discovered that Thunderbird does allow a downgrade, where you can do a one-time launch from command with a command switch, -allow-downgrade or something similar.)

As noted, if you're backing up a full profile, and all that is happening is that the data is being copied into a .ZIP, and a recovery is merely extracting from the .ZIP for the same version of Seamonkey, you still may be safe. But don't try to do a partial recovery, of something like just your saved passwords or your bookmarks.

If you're just trying to get copies of your full profile, it's just as easy to copy %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey to another location, or use a tool like 7-Zip or PeaZip to put it into a compressed archive.

Smith