David E. Ross wrote:
On 11/12/2020 4:46 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
I used to visit "FoxNews" web site, but it is so filled with THIS & THAT

Is there some way to stop that ?  Ad Blocking just causes more "Please
Turn Off Ad Blocker" prompts.   A good web site is now TRASHED UP with
so many ads, it is worthless !   Everything else is trash.

DoctorBill

Try disabling JavaScript (which is NOT Java).  I have PrefBar 7.1.1
installed with SeaMonkey 2.49.5.  PrefBar has two JavaScript controls.

Or consider managing scripting with NoScript.

I haven't seen foxnews, but most media sites have a significant number of sites serving scripts. Some scripting sites are essential for seeing content, especially the site's own scripting host, content delivery networks (often with "cdn" in the name), and external sites used for defense against DDoS attacks such as cloudfront and cloudflare -- those are all things you generally want/need to keep enabled. Beyond that, there's numerous hosts that are used for tracking and ad delivery.

I tend to be aggressive about blocking scripting hosts, and whitelisting when necessary to get what I want. For sites that I trust, I will permanently whitelist, but there's a lot of sites that I will whitelist only when it's necessary to get to what I want. And in some cases, blocking is enough that it's disruptive to graphical content, either completely suppressing things like photographs, or where graphical content is distorted (e.g., thumbnails that are expanded to much larger size) or odd layout. For me, that's mostly OK, because often, I don't really care about the photos, anyway.

However, with blocking, I also don't see a lot of animated content, and that's usually enough to block most EU cookie notifications. On the latter, I assume sites are setting cookies, and I don't really care, because I have Seamonkey set to flush cookies at the end of a session, anyway.

Doing the amounts of temporary whitelisting I do is probably not for most people, but for many users, with a little tinkering it is possible to come up with a mix of what's allowed and what's permanently blocked, in way that you find satisfactory.

For foxnews, I suggest starting off with blocking everything, and then enabling hosts one at a time, especially the ones that aren't obviously ad or tracking related.

However, with the NoScript approach enabling/blocking is something that is global, and your permissions grants or denials apply to all sites, not just one site.

Thus, if you block google-analytics (which I've found is safe to do), that blocks for all sites. On the other hand, there's several Google scripting sites that you may need to leave unblocked, such as Google Tag Manager, Google's API and AJAX servers and Gstatic (which serves fonts and other static content).

Smith