On 12/7/20 2:43 PM, Gerry Hickman wrote:
Edmund Wong wrote:
Now fast forward a few years to 2020 after working on this on-and-off.
With the release process still being half-manually generated (though
the process has gotten a bit faster), I figured I'd tackle this update
issue once and for all.

The way it works on Linux distros is really much better than I remember on Windows where individual apps had their own updaters with their own schedules, installers, and admin rights. On Linux distros, you run a simple command and the whole o/s (and all apps) offer their updates. SeaMonkey is already in EPEL for example, so it's a ten second job to update it. You don't need to run an exe file (installer), you just copy a few files, and you can even downgrade.

What is EPEL?

Ubuntu doesn't provide SeaMonkey in its main repo anymore.

I have to download and install each new version over the old. An internal app update mechanism would be greatly appreciated.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/