David Keith wrote:
Hi, I am running SeaMonkey 2.49.4 on my MacBook Pro Late 2011 - OS X
ElCapitan version 10.11.6.  Will the SeaMonkey 2.53.5 update work on my
computer?  Is there anything I need to do before downloading the update?
Thanks for your assistance.

I don't see any reason why it won't.

I have a similar vintage MacBook Pro (actually Mid 2010) that is currently running 2.53.5 on High Sierra. No issues that I can see, although I haven't done much more with that combination than ensure that it installs correctly, and I can do some basic browsing. I do have a bunch of extensions, particularly uBlock Origin and Cookies Exterminator, although I haven't bothered with NoScript, as I do on most of my installations. I also don't use this setup for mail.

As a general rule, before you do an upgrade, it's a good idea to get your profile backed up. If there's problems, and you want to revert to a previous version, profiles are now no longer backward-compatible. On a Mac, the normal location of your profile is in ~/Library/Application Support/SeaMonkey - copy the entire contents of that folder to another location, such as your Downloads folder.

I don't know if there's a compelling reason or not, especially on a Mac, but it may also be useful to uninstall the previous copy of Seamonkey (which won't touch your profile data) before installing the newer version.

Smith