Mandrake-Linux 8.0 on Athlon 1Ghz with 256MB RAM - 30G Drive with 2GB
for freenet.
IBMJava2-13 for java jvm.

I shut down my working 0.3.8.1 installation and moved the directory to
freenet0381.

Fetched the new 0.3.9.1 linux tarball.
tar xvzf tarball in /usr/local/ which created new ./Freenet/ directory
Ran   ./freenet_config fn_config.log   in /usr/local/Freenet
Started up new freenet version with no errors in freenet.log.

Fproxy failed to connect, so I tried freenet_request.

./freenet_request test-key test.txt   returns following:

[root@luxor Freenet]# ./freenet_request test-key test.txt
+ java Freenet.client.RequestClient test-key test.txt
Freenet Core running on 32771 (build 391)
Freenet.ConnectFailedException: Freenet.ConnectException:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused when attempting to connect
to tcp/127.0.0.1:19114
   at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:96)
   at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:44)
   at Freenet.ConnectFailedException.<init>(ConnectFailedException.java)
   at Freenet.Core.connect(Core.java)
   at Freenet.Core.makeConnection(Core.java)
   at Freenet.client.FNPClient$BInstance.prepare(FNPClient.java)
   at Freenet.client.FNPClient$BRequestInstance.prepare(FNPClient.java)
   at Freenet.client.FNPClient$BInstance.run(FNPClient.java)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)
A fatal exception occured while processing:
Freenet.ConnectFailedException: Freenet.ConnectException:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused when attempting to connect
to tcp/127.0.0.1:19114
Encountered the following exceptions while attempting to Request:
Freenet.ConnectFailedException: Freenet.ConnectException:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused when attempting to connect
to tcp/127.0.0.1:19114
   at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:96)
   at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:44)
   at Freenet.ConnectFailedException.<init>(ConnectFailedException.java)
   at Freenet.Core.connect(Core.java)
   at Freenet.Core.makeConnection(Core.java)
   at Freenet.client.FNPClient$BInstance.prepare(FNPClient.java)
   at Freenet.client.FNPClient$BRequestInstance.prepare(FNPClient.java)
   at Freenet.client.FNPClient$BInstance.run(FNPClient.java)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:498)
State "FAILED" reached.

To troubleshoot, I tried re-configuring  freenet to the good old 19114
port in case I had somehow missed something required during the
configuration  -- but I got the same message as above with some port
number in the 20 thousands.  Unfortunately I did not save that first
error message, but the  lines

   at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:96)
   at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Exception.java:44)

were exactly the same.

I am sending this in to support before going to my day job so hopefully
there will be a post or two
about this when I get in tonight so I can fix whatever.

I have been studying and hope to start making some personal
contributions to Freenet soon.

Thanks in Advance.

JLG