I'm sorry to butt into the fascinating meta-discussion you've been
having about mailing list etiquette[0], but for those of us who are
actually trying to use Freenet, I have something important to say.

Recently, the CVS version of Freenet has made major changes which
will require many of us to rewrite parts of our configuration files
(freenet.conf and/or freenet.ini).  If you've updated recently and
found that you can't connect to your fproxy port, here's why.

The fproxy and nodeinfo services no longer exist.  They have both
been merged into, and replaced by, a service called "mainport".  You'll
need to go into your freenet.conf (or freenet.ini) file and remove
all of the fproxy.* and nodeinfo.* lines (or at least comment them
out) and replace them with appropriate mainport.* lines.  For example:

  mainport.port=8888
  mainport.bindAddress=*
  mainport.allowedHosts=127.0.0.1,192.168.1.1,192.168.1.2

Once again: if you've been accessing your node's fproxy port from
across a LAN, it *WILL STOP WORKING* when you update to a sufficiently
recent node snapshot, unless you *CHANGE* your configuration file.

(Apparently the developers felt they had to change the service name
in order to guarantee the least possible amount of backward compatibility.)

Also, if your web browser has cached the old http://NODEADDRESS:8888/
page which was a redirect to http://NODEADDRESS:8890/ then you may have
to clear your browser's cache (or restart it) to make it stop trying to
follow a redirect that no longer works.

I have also updated the FAQ, at
<http://freenet.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?FAQ>.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled support channel discussions.

[0] See "sarcasm".

[EMAIL PROTECTED]              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |